Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 3.192: All toads are frogs!

As usual, we were astonished by Exile #4's spotting of interesting things on our walk. The first example was not a tree swarming with caterpillars but a tiny frog. No seriously - it was tiny - look! How she spotted it as we walked along the trail I do not know.

Later I saw a slightly larger one which was kind enough to pose for some more photos.

It was only much later that I began to wonder if these 'frogs' were actually toads. So, as I often do for my own education and to give me something to say at the end of the day, I turned to the collective wisdom of the Internet. I was trying to find a guide that would enable me to identify the species of these little fellas. This was the site I found - and its first sentence caught my eye, "All toads are frogs." So there!

These particular frogs are either Eastern American Toads or Fowler's Toads. Still toadally frogs!

Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!