Thursday, June 7, 2007

Day 148: Acting strangely?


Yesterday's sign reminded me of my obsession with good acting in TV adverts/commercials. I think that in 9/10 cases what separates a good advert from a bad one is the acting. Here is an example but I apologise to all the US readers who are already fed up of it. I have seen it many times and still find it amusing. Cingular oops - AT&T have some others at the moment about dropped calls - simple ideas well acted and they don't get annoying quickly. Another example is the Mac/PC adverts (although we don't get Mitchell and Webb here). The first time I noticed the power of good acting in what on paper would have been a mediocre advert has a Mitchell and Webb angle actually - it was their regular collaborator Olivia Colman in the AA advert as Bev "We used to have one of those." Should have been cringe-inducing, but somehow she made it OK!

Not that any of these adverts have induced me to buy their product. Although I think this PC I'm using would be better suited to doing my accounts. A Mac on the other hand would be cool, fun and creative. D'Oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!