Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 7.054: Ashes ashes, I nearly fell down

If yesterday's sunrise was the Mardi Gras, maybe today's was the Ash Wednesday of sunrises.  I was out at 5am to fit in a two hour run before work.  What I wasn't expecting was some fairly convincing snowfall.  There was a coating on the roads when I left, by an hour and a quarter later with the sun just coming up there was a good layer on the sandy beach (and the off-shore rocks):



and, by the time I was finishing there was a good layer (maybe a little less than an inch) - more than enough to hide a frozen puddle that nearly caused my comeuppance as I stepped off the sidewalk to cross the road.

Incidentally, in the UK it goes "A-tishoo, a-tishoo, we all fall down", in the US, "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down" which is much more ominous sounding.  However, the US first line "Ring-a-round the rosie" is much more jolly-sounding than the admittedly rather strange "Ring-a-ring o' roses".  At least we can all agree on the middle line!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!