Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day 1.265: Leaf litter

This is what I made with what the girls found on the driveway this morning as we were waiting for Exile #3's school bus. Not all my morning driveway discoveries have been so pleasant. One day last week, there was a discarded coffee cup and, separately, its lid lying on the end of the drive. I can only assume that someone threw it out of their car window as they passed. Classy. There is definitely more of that going on here than I am used to. Most weeks I see some similar event - something casually dropped out of a window or a door opened at the lights to deposit something on the road.

It seems to be a symptom of a strong vein of self-centeredness running through society here - if I drop it it stops being my problem, so why should I care? Then again, maybe it is the patriotic thing to do (a lot of things seem to become patriotic during election season) - it stimulates part of the economy and keeps some council workers in a job perhaps. Unless some do-gooding foreign-national homeowner picks it up and puts it in the bin of course.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!