Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 2.242: Speaking like a native

As E5N1's use of language is developing, his land of birth is exerting a significant effect. This evening when I arrived home from work he greeted me with a big smile and a cheery "Daddy!", but when I asked him if he had a hug for me he replied, "No, I'm all set!". That phrase is one of the most useful ones we've learned here - so much better than the 'I'm fine' or 'I'm OK' or other phrases we make do with in British English when, for example a waiter asks if we need anything else.

The other day when he was playing outside, Exile #2 came out to join his activity (probably chalk drawing) - after she completed a task to his satisfaction he congratulated her with a 'Good job Mummy!' (still 'Mummy' though not 'Mommy').

Most commonly of all we get 'Sure!' when we ask him to do something or offer him something. These often cause someone to say of him another phrase he has picked up and adapted to use of a variety of smaller-than-average objects recently (including a merely four-foot tall sunflower), 'Ah, he's so-o-o cute!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!