Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 3.203: My other birthday

Today, the clock in the car said the date was "01 08 2010" - I wondered why it was causing a double-take until I realised that that sure looks like the birthday of my American alter-ego.


We celebrated by taking the kids to the local playground this morning where they had a great and very energetic time. This may be one of my favourite photos of these two ever.

This afternoon we had a whistle-stop trip to Bristol to see Exile #2's brother and his 'new' - well it was the first time we had met her in an case - girlfriend.  We baffled everyone else with a brief techie conversation about software, but as usual the kids dominated events with a mixture of cuteness and craziness.  At one point each of them in turn took my camera for a spin, but instead of inflicting more of those on you, I'll give you one of my own  (with the help of a table and an empty glass).


We had a very nice couple of hours in a pub garden. Why do places like this not exist in the US? All very satisfactory. Bedtime with a jet-lagged three year old was less so.

3 comments:

  1. My theory: culturally, Americans put more emphasis on consumption than companionship. It's my observation that people from other cultures will get equally drunk on the company and the booze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about the jet-lag - you'll all be over it in time to go back to the States...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both.

    Kevin, I'm not convinced that it is as simple as that - the UK has something of a reputation for binge-drinking after all - but there is also a tradition of the family-pub (especially the family-friendly pub garden). Maybe the proximity of children and alcohol is too much for the strangely-selectively-sensitive American public (or for the businesses' liability insurers)?

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!