Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 5.203: Running - not thinking!

Running does funny things to your brain - at least that is my excuse. Here are a couple of examples. The first one is slightly complicated. I'll need pictures.

I was several miles into a long run. I'd just run over a large hill when I approached a three-way intersection where a cyclist was considering which way to go.

"Can I get to 123* down there?" He asked gesturing down Road B. This is where my brain-off status starts to cut-in.

* I changed the names and numbers, but apart from that it's as close to word-for-word as I can remember.

"123? You mean Apple Ave?" Apple Ave is the same road - several miles away.

"Yes - right." he replied - kindly.

"Yes - you can go up there (Road A) to the top of the hill and take a right. This way takes you to Peach Road (Road C)." I was totally fixated on my own route.

"What about that way?" He asked again - patiently - pointing down Road B.

"Oh yes!" I finally said - remembering that I had run from Rt 123 along those roads on my last long run just a week earlier. Yes - you can take Pear Road or the next one."


"Thanks!" he said - but left me wondering why I couldn't just answer the question the first time.

The second one is simple.  I'll need pictures again.  It happened when I spotted this while running along a minor side-road in the countryside:



and, not completely unreasonably, thought they might be old railroad lines. Ah look - you can see where the tracks used to cross the road.

Except that I knew I was here:



Yeah - like I said, my brain is not fully functional once I get a few miles into a run.

2 comments:

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!