Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Day 1.034: Strongly discouraged

Today, the winter storm warning had the following words added to the quote from yesterday:

TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED TODAY.


It was raining when I went to clear the drive, so the snow (only about two inches) would soon be gone right? Wrong! The rain was freezing on contact with most things (including my car, but excluding me I'm happy to say) - except for an hour or so in the afternoon when temperatures climbed above freezing just before it turned back to snow - and so roads, trees and snow all got coated in ice. The girls were home from school, but I made the strongly discouraged trip into work - Thankfully, salt did its work and kept most of the roads mostly clear and my travelling was fine.

All this talk of travel reminds me that I finally transferred our pictures from our UK trip to this computer. Let's see what curiosities I can find...


Ah yes, the right-angle two-door lift (elevator) in WHSmith in Oxford:



The small (child-sized) urinal mounted at exactly the same height as the full-sized ones...


And the curious usage instructions on a packet of baby-wipes...


Never let it be said that the UK isn't strange too.

3 comments:

  1. Strange! Oh, by the way, who's taking these pictures? :-)

    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Risky, taking photos in public toilets/restrooms! Could easily be misconstrued...though maybe only for someone with an unhealthy interest in sanitary ware.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only recent pictures that I didn't take myself (including the ones with me in) were on Days 1.029 and 1.006. I think there may be about 6 or 7 in total (including the banner at the top of the blog). Of course that probably isn't what you were getting at - sorry if I'm being thick.

    So, yes I must admit to taking a picture in a restroom - in my defence:
    1) it was a restaurant - not entirely public,
    2) it was empty,
    3) I didn't take my camera in - I used my phone :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!