Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 3.326: A shocking display

I nearly died to bring you this:


Well, maybe that is a bit of hyperbole.

I'm not talking about standing in the street wearing dark clothes late at night to get the photograph (I was careful), nor about climbing the ladder with it resting on uneven ground (Exile #2 was spotting me at the bottom), no, I'm talking about the moment when, having replaced the blackened bulb in the set that was not working and found that it did not solve the problem, I started looking for another blown one without unplugging them. Not my finest moment. I found the problem - a bulb that was broken leaving two bare wires where the filament used to be - when my finger brushed against them.

For once (unlike when moving out here and having to buy new appliances or when waiting for the kettle to boil) I was pleased that the power is only 110 V here.

5 comments:

  1. 415v shock is known by electricians as a bite
    230v is a nip,
    so does that make 110v a nibble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my case it was an "Aaaaa-aa-aa-aa-aa-a-aah, could you unplug that please?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My annual routine is to string them out in our living & dining rooms so I can find & replace the dead bulbs. And I only put the lights on first-floor porch roofs; despite my height advantage, I still need a ladder!

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!