Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 4.285: Great Pumpkin Challenge

It was race day today. I ran 10 km (6.2 miles) in the Saratoga Spa State Park in the "Great Pumpkin Challenge".

That was me at the halfway point. I still managed a smile at the end too! In fact I was pretty well prepared despite having two knees and one ankle strapped up and I was able to pace myself pretty well. I beat my "aiming for" time by more than a minute so it's a worthy personal best to attempt to beat next time.

The whole family came. Here are some views from before and after the race.


The pumpkin competition was by public vote. I don't know which one won, but I voted for number 2 - the one with the candy-corn "fur" and E5N1 declared that he liked "the robot one". Apparently 1800 people took part, which is more believable from the crowd shots after the race than from those before. It was also totally believable as we jostled along the narrow paths on the first 5K.

A few people ran in costumes of various complexities - the girls were very taken with the stingers on the bee-girls (pictured) and Exile #2 was impressed with the two guys who ran as Dr Bunsen and Beaker - lab-coats and all.

It was great fun and has been a good impetus for keeping going with my running.  Now, where do we go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!