Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 4.323: Counting down**

I'm not very tall.

Actually that's something of an understatement. I am 5'6" or perhaps 5'5" - it seems to vary from day to day - or possibly according to who is doing the rounding.

I was also short (similarly so) when I was in my early twenties. At that time, former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nigel Lawson (who now sports the rather wonderful title Baron von-Lawson of Blaby*), had lost a lot of weight in his early 60's and looked rather saggy as a result.  In conversation with a friend we concluded that if you're going to lose weight you really need to do it before you're 40 (that probably seemed quite old to us then).

That conversation has popped into my mind a few times over the last few years.  At least partly because I turned 40 and was trying to lose a little weight.  Originally I was aiming for 155 lbs - that is the top of the 'normal' range for BMI for a 5'6" tall adult - later I decided that 150 lbs was a more honest target - the same position for me if I am admitting to being only 5'5" tall.  Which I'm not. Obviously.


I recently dipped below that line - which is good.  The first half of the weight loss was all diet, the last part, has been my exercise regime (mostly running in the end).  I didn't lose it before I turned 40, but I didn't miss by much.

I can also report that the exercise is also having a beneficial impact on my LDL/HDL ratio, so my doctor is reasonably happy - as long as I keep going!






* I made up the 'von-' but the rest of it is true. Having lived nearby in my youth I can also reveal that Blaby is pronounced like baby with an added 'l'.

** This post was originally numbered 4.321 due to a clerical error - maybe that influenced the post title - and maybe the content!

2 comments:

  1. First congratulations from Mum and me!
    Secondly, I thought I was 5'6" and you are taller than I am! I know I was 5'6.5" when I joined the RAF in 1954....

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!