Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 5.082: The wise man built his house out of rock

...the fool made his out of paper.

I have gradually become acquainted with the terminology of house construction and DIY in this country over the last few years. I know that walls are made out of wooden frames with sheets of paper-coated plaster attached to them. I also know that these sheets of plasterboard are known as drywall or sheetrock. For some time I've known that the process of installing these sheets involves something called taping. I even had a roll of the appropriate tape. Today, I got to use it.

We had decided to remove some of the drywall from the area where we had some water damage from the dishwasher. We needed to know if it had ever been wet drywall. Actually, punning aside, we needed to know if the insulation behind the drywall had got wet and potentially mouldy.

So yesterday, I cut a big hole in the wall:


And today, I filled most of it in again:


The final piece is waiting for the electrician to remove the dishwasher power cable tomorrow - so I don't have to install the final panel with an unnecessary hole in it.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!