Saturday, March 17, 2007

Day 66: Under the mountain


Today we awoke to a good foot of snow and we, OK I, decided to make a quinzhee (that is I dug a hole under the pile of snow known as the mountain). In fact the mountain has reached new heights after drive-clearing guy's visit this morning. I was inspired by this one, although working on my own with my bare (gloved) hands, my achievements were less impressive. It was a strange experience to be on top of the hard-packed snow of the 'old' mountain, rather a grand name for a two-foot tall pile of snow that remained from February's storm, with the faint blue/green light filtering through the snow-walls of today's fallen and ploughed snow. It is very peaceful in there too - three feet of snow in each direction blocks the sound very well. Exile #3 can sit up in it quite comfortably, as you can see. It is hard to believe, looking at these pictures that is safe, but there is absolutely no indication of it caving in, even when I was trying to wriggle out backwards having partially blocked the entrance with dug-out snow.


As has been the run of this winter, the big storm has disrupted festivities, last time the florists and restaurants were ruing their bad luck on Valentine's Day, this time St Patrick's Day was postponed, well the parade anyway. We were invited to join in a family get-together to celebrate and had a great time, our hosts were fantastically laid back and the girls spent the whole evening sticking stickers on everyone in the party and being altogether delightful (phew!). The roads were clear on the way up there, but snow was falling again as we returned home. Just a dusting I expect - I think we've had quite enough for now.

#2 to #3 on seeing me covered in snow - literally head to foot - after doing some excavation: I think Daddy must be a mole.
#3 to #2 (stage whisper): Yes, I don't think he realises though.

One last picture for today. Anyone like to guess what it is?


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!