Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Day 196: All grown up

On Day 146 I posted a picture of the goslings. They are quite different now as you can see (actually this was a few days ago). There is lots of building work going on where this was taken and it is not clear whether this combination of grass and water will remain as attractive as a year-round home for the geese as it has been.

Today I braved the DMV (department of motor vehicles) to apply for a learners permit (provisional driving licence) - it seemed that it was getting harder to justify the claim that we weren't permanently resident. Actually, it appears that the DMV agree with the immigration service that I am only a temporary visitor so one reading of the rules would suggest that I can continue driving on my UK licence, however it is all so self-contradictory that going through the process seems wise and in any case I've been warned that they won't renew our insurance unless we have state-issued licenses by the fall. Anyway, after some waiting around, a hideously unflattering photo, some form filling, an eye test and a multiple choice written test, I am the holder of a learner's permit - as proud as any 16-year-old could be. Now I'm just a 5-hour classroom course and a road-test away from being able to drive around here - oh hang on, I already can. What was the point again?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!