Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 5.170: Wild Goose recap #3 (Saturday)

In the present day, my parents have arrived safely from the UK to visit, but now back to the Wild Goose Festival recap. You can also read part 1 and part 2.

My first session was Dave Andrews talking about inclusive community.  We discussed the advantages and disadvantages and he talked about his community of simple-living part-time employed people.  Excellent stuff.

After that I stayed where I was to hear Melvin Bray talking about the heroes (especially of the Old Testament) and the fact that there were people who God also loved on the other side of the stories.


In the afternoon, I watched The Collection produce a very pleasing sound with no less than twelve multi-instrumentalists on stage.

I caught the end of a talk by Dan Brennan and Jennifer Ould about their long-term friendship.  He is married, she is single.  Wouldn't have expected this to challenge me really, but it did - maybe it was his brutal honesty about being physically attracted to Jennifer and other women - I guess it's just a statement of fact and one that I (and probably most people) could (but probably wouldn't) make.

Cathleen Falsani was talking about her fascinating life and work as a journalist but I have to confess that my tiredness was catching up with me.

After that it was time for a second set by Damion Suomi and The Minor Prophets.  They were playing at the Coffee Barn (outdoor) stage.  They were excellent again.  E5N1 went and sat virtually on their feet and had a great time.  In the end they were asked to quieten down and did the final number unplugged - very compelling indeed.

Next, I went and bought a beer in order to take full part in Beer & Hymns.  Like last year it was moved from its scheduled time-slot.  Unlike last year I was not fooled this time.  It was great.  There are some pictures above, but you really need moving ones to get a flavour (of the singing if not the beer).



The video is a bit deceptive - there were lots of people behind me (at the bar) and on both sides of the tent (at least by the end).

After that E5N1 was completely shattered, so I took him back to the tent and pretty soon we all turned in for an early night.

Photos (now including Saturday's) are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!