Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 3.217: Welcome home!?

So, a few days ago I wrote this:
Now, back to the household - by way of a quiz.

Which of the following did we not find?
  1. The fish feeder had long since stopped dispensing food.
  2. A mouse in the trap - its corpse alive with maggots.
  3. A praying mantis on the front door frame.
  4. A two-inch long beetle on the kitchen counter.
  5. A dead mole resembling a pile of fabric on the lawn.
All but one were waiting for us at our home - guess away about which one I made up!
It's results time.

First the entries. Including a couple of votes given in person, I had two votes for the fish, two for the mouse and one for the beaver (you'll have to read the post!).

No-one was correct.

The fish feeder had stopped working an unknown but probably significant time before we got back - the food had got wet and was no longer dispensing. I should have bought the one with a food-drying fan! The fish were alive, but quite ready for a meal I think.

The mousetrap in the basement had an unwelcome addition - when I tried to tip the ex-mouse into the trash, it was preceded by several wriggling maggots. I ended up disposing of the whole trap. I failed to take a picture - sorry - I know you expect better of me!

Here's the praying mantis:

Here's the beetle:

And here's the mole:

So which was the lie? Well, the beetle picture is from the day we left - I found it in the basement and put it in a plastic bag and left it on the kitchen counter. Not that one. No, the lie was about the mantis - we saw it on a door frame, but not at home. It was at the visitor center at Five Rivers.

Sorry about the mole picture - I wonder what caused its death.  We are mole-friendly as far as I know here at Exile Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!