Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 3.347: Dark angels

Of course I could have called this post "Dark Angel" and talked about Jessica Alba - but I hardly watched that show (although I can see why some did).

No, this was inspired by this rather spectacular snow angel that Exile #4 made in the new coating of snow on the drive before school this morning. Exile #2 kindly photographed it.

Apart from Ms Alba, the other thing that 'dark angels' reminds me of is the video installation by Bill Viola that Exile #2 and I saw in about 2003 at Tate Modern in London.  It was so spell-binding that we went back the next day predominantly just to see it again.  It's called Five Angels for the Millennium and consists of a dark room in which a series of short films of people jumping into water, some played backwards, some upside-down, all (I think) slowed down significantly and all beautifully lit.  This video captures a little of it (the best clips start at 1.12 and 2.36) but I would love to see it for real again.



It was the last day of school for the girls (E5N1 finished yesterday), and of work for me. We have some chores for tomorrow, but I think we will be ready when Saturday comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!