Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 3.334: Guitar-typing

One of the things I get paid to do is to write computer software and one of the languages I use is Python. In Python, there is a concept called 'duck-typing.' It isn't anything to do with how you use a keyboard, but rather it is about finding out what type of thing something is by seeing how it behaves. "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it's a duck*"

So, is this a guitar? Well, it looks like a guitar, I can play it like a guitar, I can even make it sound like a guitar...but no it is NOT a guitar. It's a Rock Band 3 Pro-Guitar controller and it is mind-bendingly fiendish but lots of fun - especially to an old guitarist like me.





* or as real pythonistas will tell you "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - I can treat it as a duck!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!