Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day 1.055: Double trouble

Of course, we always knew about colour vs color, centre vs center and other curiosities brought about by our divergent versions of the English language, but who would have thought that travelling could be complicated? No I don't mean getting around, or coming over here from the UK - the word "travelling" - it turns out it's usually spelled "traveling" here. When I realised that our insurance company was called "Travelers" I thought, fair enough, it's a name, they can spell it however they like, it didn't even occur to me that that might be the correct spelling for people who travel.

Funnily enough this issue has been staring me in the face for several months - since I read "The Time Traveller's Wife" (or so I thought - it's actually "Traveler's") I only realised when I read it a second time a few weeks ago and looked carefully at the cover. It's probably my favourite novel of the last two or three years by the way.

Today was a messy one in several ways - rain falling on melting snow, jet-lag still fighting back, Exile #3 leaving all her cold weather clothing at school even though she had her second skating lesson. Never mind. I enjoyed watching her skate. Mostly upright, but mostly stationary would be my assessment. She seemed happy about it too.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Mostly upright is good! Well done Exile 3 - better than my skating these days I imagine. Are skating lessons at school or outside? We have a Canadian woman in our office who pretty much grew up skating as soon as she could walk. Is it the same where you are?

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it must be more than twenty years since I last wore ice-skates, so I dread to think how I would do.

    We're sort of on boundary between the northern "Winter is a way of life" and southern "Winter is an inconvenience" attitudes. Certainly many people consider snow shoes, skates and skis to be essential possessions for the whole family, others seem to hide indoors and wait for spring. Bearing in mind we had a big snow storm in mid-March last year, it can be a long wait.

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!