Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Day 1.277: At your connivance...

This morning I did my first raking of the season - it seemed that the trees had decided - literally overnight - that there was no reason to hold on to their leaves any more.

Yesterday I had a request by email at work: "Please complete this form and send it back at your earliest connivance." I managed to resist (just) the temptation to comment on this odd turn of phrase in my reply, but not here.

Odd phrases are everywhere at the moment, not least in the 'Celebrate every day' column in our local monthly newsletter. It tells me that today was 'National Dessert Day', but we've also missed:

October 2: Name Your Car Day,
October 7: National Frappe Day,
October 9: Moldy Cheese Day,
October 11: It's My Party Day,

and, my favourite:

October 12 (if only we'd known): Moment of Frustration Scream Day.

That's only the highlights of course - there really is one for every day of the month. Which also means there are still many joys ahead:

October 18: No Beard Day,
October 20: National Brandied Fruit Day,

and if you overdo the brandy you can get straight on with:

October 21: Babbling Day.

Later in the month is the not-to-be-missed Sylvia Plath Day. "First, are you our sort of person..?"

But, if you're of a more adventurous persuasion, may I suggest you join with us in celebrating:

October 25: Punk For A Day Day?

"...do you wear a glass eye, false teeth or a safety pin through your nose?"
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!