Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 6.124: Did she D.A.R.E.?


I went in late to work today in order to catch Exile #3's D.A.R.E. graduation. I've been a bit of a D.A.R.E. skeptic since I started hearing about it from parents of older children.  It seemed to me that by lumping all drugs, tobacco and alcohol together they were liable to produce cognitive dissonance for the kids, most of whom (mine included) live in houses where alcohol is consumed fairly regularly.

I may also have been partially informed by South Park I suppose:


Anyway, whether it was the changes in curriculum this year, or my daughter's character, or her knowledge of my skepticism I don't know, but it seems to have been a great programme, focusing on making good decisions, getting help and being good to others.

Her graduation certificate says that she has made a commitment to avoid drugs and violence - now that I can wholeheartedly support!


I'm in no hurry for her to start experimenting with alcohol either (despite what I said before) but I don't want her to worry that her parents are destroying our brains either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!