Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 3.162: Grill'n the Beans

Before I get started, I need to say (because I'm taking their name in vain) that my review of my lunch at the great cafe/bistro in Troy NY called "Spill'n the Beans" can be found here.

I think it is safe to say that Exile #2 has fully embraced life with the grill. By which I mean that she is delighted that the merest suggestion that we could use it means that I will happily cook dinner. On the other hand, we are both nervous that increased grilling will mean increased meat intake.

So it was that on Saturday, she suggested that we try a vegetarian grilling experience. This was the recipe we decided upon. To be honest it was not a great success. I found the preparation to be excessive and it produced too much washing-up for my liking and the process of grilling on greased foil was not a great one. However, it did inspire a surprising success.

I made half the mixture without the hot ingredients in the vain hope that at least one of the kids would eat some. Exile #2 and I enjoyed our full-recipe versions and then we found ourself with some left-overs - mostly of the neutered version. So on Sunday night after our church gathering, Exile #2 heated them up (they held together rather better after a night in the fridge) and I gave them a NY twist by rustling up some Buffalo wing sauce. Traditional Buffalo wing sauce is not exactly complicated - it comprises Frank's Red Hot sauce and melted butter. It really gave a wonderful zing to the bean-burgers.

Just writing this is making me want to cook some wings - or maybe even some more bean burgers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!