Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 4.206: Poolside, dancing and books

I arrived home this evening to find the family preparing for a mad evening jaunt to the pool with one of E5N1's classmates and her family.  So, we packed up a picnic and went.  All the kids got wet.  The girls swam, so did I and our group was the last to leave as the sun was setting.

This evening Exile #3, Exile #2 and I watched the last results show before the finale of So You Think You Can Dance? and were fairly satisfied with the results.  It should be a really good final pair of shows next week.


Exile #2 also pointed out this evening that NPR have a poll of the Top-100 Science Fiction and Fantasy novels.  I'm not a hard-core sci-fi or fantasy reader although I enjoy both along with other novels so I wondered if I would actually have read as many as the ten allowed votes.  In the end I found it quite hard to choose my ten, but went for those that reading the titles made me want to go back and read them again.  Here is my top ten (not ordered):

  • Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke
  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson
  • The Gap Series by Stephen R Donaldson
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  • The Lord of The Rings Trilogy by J R R Tolkien
  • Mordant's Need by Stephen Donaldson
  • Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
  • The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist
  • The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
But that meant missing out a lot of other good stories especially some older ones.  If you disagree, you should go and vote for your favourites, but feel free to let me know too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!