Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Day 1.082: Full Spring ahead

The thing about the long drawn out end to winter here is that when the plants finally decide it's time to start growing again, they don't waste any time about it. This morning the grass that had started looking green yesterday was looking even greener - at least one tree in our yard has leaf-buds that can be discerned easily from inside the house. Considering how amazed I was by such signs of Spring on my trip down to Maryland this time last week - it has all happened very quickly. Of course I need to keep in mind that we had the snowploughs out on April 16th last year - although by 22nd I was wearing shorts.

Canada geese have also been appearing lately - one of my first sightings was on the first day of Spring when I sadly missed the chance to photograph a few standing on a still-frozen pond. There was very little processing required to make this picture - the world was still rather colourless back on Sunday when I took it.

You may have noticed the 'listen now' buttons - thanks to the clever people at Odiogo, you can now have my words read to you. Whether anyone will be subscribing to the daily Exiles in New York podcast is rather doubtful - but please leave a comment to let me know if you do. There's a link in the sidebar somewhere.

The voice may sound strange to you - but it is rather like Capital News 9's evening current affairs show's presenter Brian Taffe. Although he's a local - Exile #2 is convinced that he (like the area) has some Dutch heritage - a reasonable interpretation of his odd accent. Thanks to Odiogo I now know better - he's a computer-generated presenter - Max Headroom 2.0.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so that's what it'd be like to have your blog read out by Stephen Hawking...

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!