Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 1.146: At the Volksbad

This evening I went with my hosts to the public baths. Not for any bathing-related activities, but for a concert. The pool itself is now covered-over with stainless-steel floor and the space is used as a concert venue.

Tonight's performer was Bugge Wesseltoft - even here in Germany, they managed to spell his name wrongly on the tickets. He is a Norwegian Jazz pianist. Here he is playing his Bösendorfer with one hand whilst manipulating his live samples with his other hand. It was a great concert, including several tours de force, including - lots of playing of the strings inside the piano, a monophonic synthesiser with some Faithless-esque bass sounds, saying "Oh - yeah" and clapping into a microphone and sampling these sounds for looping and, just when you might have been tempted to wonder if he was any good at just playing the piano, a spectacular rendition of Take Five.

Having agreed to meet my colleagues at 7.30 pm, I decided that instead of catching the 7.05 pm tram, I would set out to walk at 6.10 pm. However, it was about 5 miles and, having failed to realise this, I did not set out at quite a fast enough pace, I did however take a few pictures on the way. Maybe I'll share them with you all another day.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Live samples? Do you mean small mammals? Perhaps a coypu or two...
    Hi, by the way...

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!