Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 1.306: The name game

For the first time this week, I got home while the kids were still up and about this evening. I thought that E5N1 was pleased to see me as he ran into the hall. It turned out he just wanted my lunch-box - he's taken quite a shine to them. This is one of the girls' ones however.

Today at lunch we ended up talking about which of the US states are named after individual people. According to Wikipedia, New York is on the list having been named after the Duke of York. I suppose it was called New to make sure everyone knew it wasn't named after the Grand Old Duke of York. Seems a bit tenuous to me and I think that although it may have been named in his honour, it was named after the city the Vikings called Jorvik. Anyway, can you puzzle out the others? There are eleven to find out of the remaining 49 states. Bonus points for knowing (or accurately guessing) who they were named after. Shame on you if you look them up.

For the benefit of us non-nationals (and a few citizens perhaps), here are the candidates:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Post your answer in the comments...!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. I expect they were all prophetically named after Barack Obama to celebrate his impending ascension to the presidency. Following a star in the east (most likely Maine), three wise men travelled night and day to come and worship him, bearing gifts of financial donations, frankincense and myrrh... ;-)

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about (Al)abama (where the last tangent started I think), Al(aska), (C)ali(fornia), Flo(rida), George(ia), Ida(ho), Ken(tucky)...

    I'm sure there's more than 11.

    Boring day at work, no, surely not...

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without having looked at other comments or any reference book, I offer:

    Georgia - King George (?which one)
    Louisiana - Louis the ? of France
    Maryland - ?
    N Carolina - Queen Caroline
    Pennsylvania - Wm Penn
    Rhode Island - ? Rhodes of Rhodesia and Rhodes Scholarships
    S Carolina - as N Carolina
    Virginia - Queen Elizabeth I, the virgin queen
    Washington - George Washington
    W Virginia - as Virginia

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for playing A, you missed Mitch(igan).

    Pretty good Dad (you did as well as we did at lunch I think) - but not quite the right list.

    Anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken(tucky) - the infamous boyfriend of Barbie?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this a pop pun in disguise?
    Carolina - Shaggy
    Virginia - The Madonna state (like a Virgin)
    Hannah Montana....

    ReplyDelete
  7. +Delaware
    -Rhode Island
    -Queen Caroline
    +King Charles I

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Ken Tucker in my congregation. So that's one state that's named after someone right there.

    Tennessee Ernie Ford springs to mind. So that's another.

    I remember speaking at the wedding of Chas and (Ala)Bam(a) - and you were there. That makes three.

    Whose the fourth? Hang on, Alaska.

    Now. Sweet Georgia Brown is a lovely girl, and often on my mind. I owe 'er more than I can say.

    My new neighbours are a rum couple. Long hair. Flowers. Mr & Mrs Hippy. A right state, the pair of them.

    Sharleen Spiteri.

    Not George of course, but Dinah Washington.

    Kanye West.

    Dodi al Fayed. (Think about it.)

    Miley Cyrus.

    I think you'll find that's your eleven. What's the prize?

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!