Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Day 217: Big bird feeder

Here is the result of my handiwork the other day. Squirrel defences and two avian food sources in place outside our dining room window.

We have had plenty of visitors, mainly of the commonly seen round here variety: Northern Cardinals, Blackcapped Chickadees, American Goldfinches, Tufted Titmouses and today six Song Sparrows all crowding in. All in all a success so far - although the squirrel invasion force may descend soon, you can never be sure. It has happened before.

Today started badly, someone has been using my UK credit card for a frankly bizarre and unlikely set of transactions - the bank is treating it as fraud, but to be honest it looks more like some sort of error - or maybe they're just really strange fraudsters. Anyway, I spent a while this morning dealing with that. When I was eventually ready to leave for work I discovered that I'd left the car headlights on all night and the battery was flat. After two trips (don't ask) to the store in the other car, I eventually sat down to check my work email while the battery was charging and eventually made it in to work rather later than I had planned. Oh well, things have been gradually improving since then.

Oh yes, it's not the bird feeder that's big. Thanks to the sparrows and others being messy eaters - the feeder fed some very big birds today...

2 comments:

  1. forgive my ignorance, but what ARE those birds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are Wild Turkeys as promised on Day 18 and Day 19 and possibly the same ones we spotted just down the road on Day 174 - if so they are one chick down, but the others are doing very well.

    They are huge seen close up - my first thought on seeing this group yesterday through the trees at the bottom of our garden was 'peacock' - hopefully we can get a better picture some time and really do them justice.

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!