Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 1.006: Ski - sore marg'nally

...doors have opened on another world with my first ever skiing trip. Colleague and friend-in-exile T had kindly offered to take me last winter but it never quite came together (both of our wives were heavily pregnant and we had only recently arrived - so it's no great surprise). So, as soon as the slopes opened this year he started asking me if I wanted to go.

Skiing has never really attracted me, I suppose it always seemed a bit elitist and expensive and...well to be honest how much fun can it be?

OK - it was lots of fun.

We went after work, the whole thing cost about $50 for ski hire and a 4 hour lift pass. I was not too hopeful when having tried the first exercise OK - falling over sideways - I found it frankly impossible to get back up. Then I found myself unable to move on the flat - the shuffle being more of a snow-polish. However, we were soon snow-ploughing down the learn-to-ski slope and after the third time down, T said it was time to go up the other lift. On the steeper novice slope (pictured) I did my first proper falls, and managed to get back up much more successfully - and did my first decent turns (fully committed and weight forward most of the time). My very patient instructor was kind enough to say he was surprised by how much progress I made - and eventually he stopped skiing backwards watching my technique and just took to following me down watching out for faster skiers coming down the full-length runs behind. So there you go - to all those who said you must ski while your over there - and met ambivalent agreement - you were right. Now we just have to find a way to handle the logistics of getting Exile #2 (no problem with motivation) to the mountain.

And yes - I am feeling quite sore - but from the muscle exertion rather than bruises I'm happy to say.

Whether I'll be able to walk tomorrow is another question.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!