Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 5.126: Botany, Ornithology, Herpetology and what?

We had a short walk on Sunday at Five Rivers. It felt oppressively hot, but the car temperature sensor informed us it was 74°F - wow is summer ever going to be a shock.

For once, I took very few pictures of family members walking on the trails, but I did attempt a bit of amateur naturalism.

First, some botany:


Pretty flowers and baby trees - not bad.

Then some ornithology:


No prizes for photography, but we can at least identify a spotted sandpiper, some bank swallows and a red-winged blackbird.

Some herpetology:


The two large snapping turtles had a brief but dramatic fight after this and one of them shot off across the lake at an astonishing pace.

Finally, I captured this:


I think I know what it is - do you?

3 comments:

  1. I really want it to be one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogchoker simply because of the comedy name, but suspect it's not. Maybe some sort of freshwater flatfish or ray?

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your mystery photo is a muskrat. Didn't know they could fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought the picture might be Nessie on holiday?!

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!