Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day 308: Bloggin' the Nog

Seven years ago I was in Vancouver round about this time of year and was bemused to hear some locals saying how exciting it was that Starbucks would soon be serving their Eggnog Latte. Really? Starbucks have a seasonal menu - and it includes eggnog? It turns out that seasonal products are very big here. Pumpkin lattes and muffins feature during the Fall/Halloween season, and now that Christmas has arrived (in the stores at least) it's eggnog time. Now I must point out that eggnog is a non-alcoholic dairy beverage here. I'm sure some people mix it with 'liquor' and warm it up, but other people just drink it from the fridge (or mix it with coffee). The first time I encountered it this winter it was a snatch of a conversation in Stewarts. Ah yes Stewarts - quickly identified when we arrived as like a petrol-station shop, but without the petrol station, then we discovered that some of them do also have gas pumps outside. Anyway it went like this:

Young man holding 12 oz bottle of eggnog: Eggnog! I've gotta get this.
Girlfriend or wife: That's like 500 Calories!
Ymh12ozboe: This is gonna make me so happy.

Anyway, all of this is of only academic interest to me being allergic to cow's milk and its products. Until Exile #2 came home from the store yesterday with a bottle of "Nog", dairy, egg and cholesterol free. So today, seven years on, I made myself a 'nog latte.

It was OK. I really like my coffee black and sugar-less (although when the mood takes me I do occasionally have a soy-latte or a sweetened coffee-drink - especially in the summer when iced coffee started to loom large in my diet).

The 'Nog' itself tastes pretty good - sweet and creamy and a bit spicy. Maybe I need to heat some up, put a shot of something in it and see if it will help me shake off this cold.

2 comments:

  1. Just take the "shot" without the nog - that'll knock the cold for 6!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. starbucks UK side (new one on newmarket road for you to look forward to visiting!) have just started seasonal flavoured lattes...

    so far have sampled the gingerbread latte (so-so) and the cremé brulee latte (quite pleasant)

    their xmas (ok, iced and marzipanned fruitcake) is pretty good too

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!