Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 3.016: Music Lust


Almost every time we drive past this sign it has some interesting meeting or group name posted on it, but this was the first time I felt the need to stop and photograph it...
MUSIC LUST - OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
If you're wondering what it is - I have no idea!

Which all reminds me that I have been listening to some new music recently and loving it.  In the car, I have had Regina Spektor's curious but lovely works, Begin to Hope and Far on heavy rotation with Maxïmo Park's Quicken the Heart to liven things up from time to time. All three are great.

Far in particular is a fantastic work - Ms Spektor barely puts a foot wrong and has melodies and thoughts a-plenty to get under your skin. Exile #2 had been wanting to hear her stuff for some time, but we finally did when she was on Saturday Night Live. Not the most obvious place to hear new music perhaps - but it worked out this time - you can see her second performance 'The Calculation' here. Many of her fans seem to think that her earlier stuff is better, so maybe we'll find out in time. I certainly love the raw and slightly sinister feel of 'That time' on Begin to Hope, but I could listen to the more rounded (and maybe safer) Far all day and some days have come pretty close to doing just that!

I've also been listening to Pandora a little - it's one of a range of custom Internet radio sites that have been springing up over the last couple of years. It has been great for discovering new music - and remembering some that I've been meaning to have a proper listen to for some time. Highly recommended for any US readers who haven't discovered such joys yet.

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, you've missed it! http://nyrecordfairs.com/calendar/ It was on Sunday...

    Isn't the interweb great!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary frankly - not that you could find out, but that you did ;) Looks like my sequitur was apposite after all. Never thought I'd write that sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reasonable recent convert to Ms Spektor myself, on my list of people to see live. Wonder how often she has to answer questions about Phil?

    Ciao. John

    ReplyDelete
  4. on the topic of online music... Pandora is fantastic, but for your UK readers, they're missing out if they're not using Spotify yet -> http://www.spotify.com

    Unfortunately it's not available stateside (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  5. John - I know I wondered when I first heard her name!

    Curtis - yeah - so I hear - I'm filing it under 'Silver-linings if we have to go back to the UK this year'

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!