Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 2.364: Best shoe forward

Snoe shoeing
This morning, I unpacked my new snow shoes (a Christmas present), put them in the car along with my camera including my new lens and remote shutter release(birthday presents) and headed up to John Boyd Thacher State Park.  It was a beautiful morning - cold but sunny.  There were a few people out on the trails, about two-thirds cross country skiers and most of the rest snow-shoeing like me.

Most of the time there was no-one in sight or earshot and then the magic of this winter wonderland was at its peak, the trees seemed to be groaning in the frigid wind - weird other-worldly sounds.  The streams were sometimes visible and sometimes audible as they flowed beneath the ice and snow.

On the way back I stopped at the overlook and captured a snowy panorama and my first 300mm close-up - of downtown Albany with the snow-covered hills along the border with Massachusetts visible in the background.  If you click on the photo above, it will take you to the Flickr set with a few of my other shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!