Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 3.095: Last post


It seems that for the British expat in the U.S., preparing taxes is like the proverbial painting of the Forth Bridge - no sooner have you got to the end than it is time to begin again.

Today was the deadline for submission of the tax returns. This morning I received the completed forms from my tax preparers and so I just had time to print them out, sign them and drive over to the special late-night opening party at one of the local post offices.  Well, I say party - there was little of the cheerful in-it-together spirit that I was half-expecting. Instead it was a civil, but tired and slightly grumpy atmosphere at 9pm - I dread to think what it will be like at 11.30pm.

Anyway, tax returns are away, certificates of posting are stamped and filed. Now, how long is it before we have to start the next ones?

2 comments:

  1. I remember having to do something similar with N's tax return a few years ago (fortunately pre J). We ended up driving to the accountants with the completed documentation at about 4am, having been up all night. Once we'd made the mental leap of accepting it was going to an all nighter it wasn't too bad! Well done.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think that this might be your last post at first, and then I thought... "oh yeah, he's still breathing.... " So you can't fool me buddy!

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!