Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 3.099: Did someone say 'volcano'?

Yes - in fact quite a few people have been talking about it, but only a few witnessed it up close as I did yesterday and fewer can claim a hand it its creation.

I'm talking about the papier-mâché volcano that Exile #2 and E5N1 spent a good part of last week creating and then decorating. My part (as a chemistry graduate) was to come in the eruption phase. Exile #2 found the design and instructions on a website, and we followed them for the first try - 4 tablespoons of baking soda in the bottle, then half a cup of vinegar with a bit of food-colouring added. It worked quite well, but after I added my mystery extra ingredient, things got even better.

And the colours got a bit crazy - but that was not my doing.



The added ingredient was a teaspoon of egg-white. I bet no-one has considered using that in Iceland.

2 comments:

  1. That's made my day - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egg-cellent! I had heard that the FAA had grounded all flights in Albania airspace. Now I know why...it was the vast cloud of meringue spotted drifting across the state.

    A

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!