Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 1.007: Present - and correct?

I joked with the girls on my birthday that it would last thirty- something days in honour of my age - it would seem I wasn't as far out as I might have thought. These arrived today from my sister and nieces, very nicely wrapped by Mr Amazon.

Skiing after-effects update - I'm a bit stiff, but definitely mobile.

And so, to the Pop Pun Pop Quiz as announced on Day 345. Here are the answers (with a few fragments of explanation - especially where I claimed there was a pay-off for those who solved them):

  • PP1 Day 22: This means nothing to me...
    The answer was elsewhere in the post - the pun was in the missing words.
    Ultravox - Vienna

  • PP2 Day 37: Life in a northern town
    No real mystery here, but again the ellipsis at the end contained a little reference to the plumbing work.
    Dream Academy - Life in a Northern Town
    The missing lyric was: "Watch the water run down the drain"
  • PP3 Day 45: Yo Baby'll solve it
    Yoghurt meets rap on a 45 (a numeric reference for the older readers). The beginning of the classic pop pun and the first one to be solved (by one of my regulars).
    Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
    "if you've got a problem, yo Baby I'll solve it..."

  • PP4 Day 54: There's snow beginning
    Several extra clues in the text, again solved, still no pay off for solving this except comment-glory.
    Wet Wet Wet - Love is all around

  • PP5 Day 58: Climbing up the Ariel
    A tribute to my daughters' love of Disney Princesses and an artist who makes another appearance later. No solution posted, but I'm sure some of you got it
    Kate Bush - Nocturn

  • PP6 Day 64: Do you still (atom) feed me?
    I still don't know if anyone uses the atom feeds, but this reference surely wasn't too challenging - I was 64 after all.
    The Beatles - When I'm 64

  • PP7 Day 65: All white now, baby
    Again, not much of a challenge, but back to back pop puns and a snowstorm stretches any daily blog poster.
    Free - Alright Now

  • PP8 Day 69: Trudging (in stilettos) in the snow
    Did you remember? this one was solved - one accused me of being cryptic, the other said it was easy.
    Marillion - Kayleigh

  • PP9 Day 81: Get your motor running
    The song was easy - but where was the pun, weakly raising it's head in the last line of the post (which if there was any doubt kind of gave the game away)
    Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild

  • PP10 Day 83: So what if I tie my hair?
    Solved by an anonymous commenter. Still no pay-off though.
    Toyah - I Want to be Free

  • PP11 Day 91: Queen of the mountain
    Adrian suggested this was about Elvis - he's right of course, but take care - the comments may mislead.
    Kate Bush - King of the Mountain

  • PP12 Day 94: Hey you! Who said fat baby?
    I quite liked this one the picture and the title worked nicely, still no pay off - nor anyone admitting to recognising this one. Jump in and have a go!
    Van Halen - Jump
    "Hey you! - who said that? - baby how you been?"

  • PP13 Day 99: Sleep, wave your hand
    Glad I tricked someone in recognising this bit of classic 80's tat. First pun with a payoff for those who solve it.
    Black Lace - Superman
    Wasn't it obvious from the picture?

  • PP14 Day 111: Look a brassiere?
    I know someone in the US managed to see the pun (by making the mob connection), but didn't know the pop - not surprising as this is quite British - not English though. Were you losing interest yet and slipping into a comatose state?
    Catatonia - I am the Mob
    "Luca Brasi - ah - he sleeps with the fishes"

  • PP15 Day 113: Back to realty
    Those who know the pop (and others) may have missed the fact that the title was subtly changed to mark our re-entry into the housing market.
    Soul II Soul - Back to Reality

  • PP16 Day 122: Keep my tulips waiting
    I like this one. Well done Adrian who knew there were words to this classic (or like me found out this year!).
    Glenn Miller - In the Mood

  • PP17 Day 135: Bang collared - eh?
    Again, the solution makes sense of the title on this one.
    Blur - Bank Holiday

  • PP18 Day 137: Go turtley crazy
    Back to basics here, but with a left-field (for me) musical reference.
    Shania Twain - Man I Feel Like a Woman
    "Go totally crazy"

  • PP19 There was no pop pun 19 - no points here
    A mistake or a pop reference to Vietnam - you decide!
    (Paul Hardcastle - 19 !?)

  • PP20 Day 143: Oh babe, I ate to go
    A couple of pay-offs here although the solution comment makes it easy for you (Exile #2 donated this one)
    John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane
    He wrote it you know - and that's where I was - "Oh babe I hate to go..."

  • PP21 Day 193: The toast is always changing
    No pay-off. Solved but only in a comment to a later post.
    Maximo Park - The coast is always changing

  • PP22 Day 197: (I'm a) smart rug
    Probably not too hard a pun, but the pop is getting more obscure.
    The Blue Aeroplanes - (I'm a) Smart Drug

  • PP23 Day 208: Mormon business...
    Plenty of clues - and a little pay-off about where I was (sorta).
    Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
    I was in Baltimore!

  • PP24 Day 220: Wait wait, what is the key in?
    Partially solved and plenty of clues in the comments, but take care with this one.
    Sting - Shadows in the Rain
    He covered his own song on his solo album featuring the spoken introduction:
    "What key is this in? Wait, wait, what key is it in?"

  • PP25 Day 224: Falls gold
    No pay off, but a classic tune.
    Stone Roses - Fools Gold

  • PP26 Day 225: Ah, Maid of This
    Very satisfying, but only a baby pay-off.
    Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
    E5N1 was having some perhaps

  • PP27 Day 237: Somewhere in the scene
    No pay off here.
    Kate Bush - Somewhere In Between

  • PP28 Day 242: They're melting in the show
    It was a slideshow. There is a real pay-off here though.
    All About Eve - In the Clouds
    We were!

  • PP29 Day 246: Eight more to weigh
    Not too hard, and a little pictorial pay-off.
    Tom Robinson - 2,4,6,8 Motorway

  • PP30 Day 253: I don't - no - why?
    A great pay-off here, I'd hate to think no-one got it, did I catch you dreaming?
    R.E.M. - Strange Currencies
    Well - just look at it - strange indeed!

  • PP31 Day 263: Jay'll bar St Gold and Gates
    Another pay-off for those willing to work it out.
    The Fugees - Ready or Not
    Well, it was a game of hide and seek!

  • PP32 Day 270: Long distance fun
    No real pay off here, but the comments will finally make sense.
    Yes - Long Distance Runaround

  • PP33 Day 275: Blondes hear: don't jump!
    I enjoyed the pun and the song very much.
    Tori Amos - Almost Rosey

  • PP34 Day 280: No leaves, no glory
    A little cryptic clue on the second paragraph will satisfy those who solve this (hopefully).
    Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter

  • PP35 Day 288: It's such a...
    Solved but not named in the comments.
    Lou Reed - Perfect Day

  • PP36 Day 295: Driver - wait!
    No pay-off here.
    R.E.M. - Driver 8

  • PP37 Day 317: Island on my feet
    Excellent comment 'solution' for this one.
    Shakespear's Sister - I Don't Care
    Forsooth!

  • PP38 Day 322: Strike oppose
    No solution to this one as yet and a pay off if you solve it and read the lyrics.
    Avril Lavigne - Complicated
    "laugh out when you strike your pose - take off all your preppy clothes"

  • PP39 Day 323: Bumper grind
    Another easy one for you and a comment solution from Our Adrian.
    R Kelly - Bump N' Grind
    R Adrian geddit?

  • PP40 Day 328: Eye? might be
    No pay off here, but a nice picture ;-)
    Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

  • PP41 Day 344: Going fishing for a while
    No pay off here, but nice to have a round number of solutions for the quiz.
    Maximo Park - Going missing
Scores and results to follow! (Those who had a go but didn't get your entries in - mark your own and let us know how you did - no cheating now!)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. PP16 Day 122.
    Glenn Miller's "In The Mood" indeed had no words. For Glenn Miller simply provided the world with the best known instrumental arrangement of Joe Garland & Andy Razaf's "In The Mood". A technical point, but if one is going to set & win quizzes with this kind of thing, then I think the answers should have a modicum of accuracy.
    Or when we hear those snare drums beginning their insistant beating do we think "that's Torvil & Dean's 'Bolero'?"
    (Which thought is perfectly acceptable if we are watching 2 ageing ice dancers on ITV, but not if we are listening to CLassic FM.)
    I'll take my anorak off now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were actually quite a few places where the 'artist' was ambiguous and except where the correct artist was required in order to make sense of things, I marked all valid artists the same.

    So far I have received two complaints:

    1) marcus g (above/below) - ruling: dock all entries who specified Glenn Miller (including mine) 1 point. Award the anorak-in-question 10 points for a successful challenge of the quiz-setter.

    2) locals grinned who complained that although John Denver wrote 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' he did not (famously at least) record it. Ruling: the wording of the post made it clear the person who 'said' it was relevant and I was in Denver - no changes.

    After careful application of these rulings I calculate one change in the final positions: marcus g attains third place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! And I hadn't even entered!
    This is better than an ITV phone quiz!
    (Though on second thoughts third is a pretty poor result, even for a quiz I hadn't entered.)
    Maybe there were in fact so few entrants that this is a belated attmept to boost the ratings artificially: so I won't get too excited just yet, as perhaps there might still be an enquiry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiet now - someone may work out that my 'international field' comprised one person from the UK and one from the US. I think this proves that for all people's complaining they actually enjoy spending time with family and friends over 'the holidays'. Either that or sporadic internet access.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Given the fascinating nature of the competition, those are the only plausible explanations.

    I think I should put such a quiz on my blog, and see what placings people who don't enter achieve there as well!

    And I'm only sorry that my forthcoming US trip won't allow a jaunt to Albany so that we could have a re-match of Trivial Pursuit from about a million years ago...

    ReplyDelete

Please use Name/URL (just a name of any kind is fine) unless you really want to be anonymous!